Friday, November 12, 2010

Lace, Revisted

Earlier, I posted about a black lace Lilly Pulitzer dress. Since then, I've seen black lace dresses everywhere. I'm currently coveting a long sleeved version (though the one shouldered versions are beautifully elegant, I don't know if I could pull it off).

I think the key to this trend is balancing a good fit with just enough skin. I'd suggest a shorter hemline to prevent the lace from becoming overwhelming and to maintain a youthful vibe. An ankle long or too formal dress would look more appropriate for a funeral. Do remember the lace portions are sheer and avoid too much skin. For modesty's sake, dresses with built in slips are key. While I think cutouts can be worked in moderation, I think wearing a version like this, and looking classy, would be extremely difficult.

This version by Adrianna Papell beautifully balances long sleeves with a short hemline. The neckline is sweet with a touch of seduction. I also like the texture of the lace. It's more substantial than you'd expect.

This MM Couture by Miss Me dress is a bit more trendy than the first piece, but I think the shoulders are fun and the tiers on the skirt ground the piece. The sweetheart neckline on the slip would also be extremely flattering.

Yes, I realize this Winter Kate dress doesn't have long sleeves. Notice how the same balancing effect is achieved by the high turtleneck? The edging on the cap sleeves also directs the eye towards the waist and creates a flattering illusion.

Again, not long sleeves, but I love the draping on this MM Couture by Miss Me dress. The use of lace as both an under and overlay is also gorgeous. Definitely a good option if you only want a hint of lace.

Now I'm back to the long sleeves vs. short sleeves debate. To be eventually settled...

No comments: