Friday, February 25, 2011

Craftily Resourceful

I've been in a crafty mood lately and have had to suppress numerous whims to drop everything and rush to the nearest art supply store. The great thing about crafting is that it truly encourages a whole range of creativity. And luckily, that includes a range of supplies. In fact, some of the best projects are those that involve recycling (or upcycling) ordinary materials. After seeing some amazing jewelry stalls at a market this weekend, I've been itching to get back to work making wearable pieces. Fortunately, until I can make a trip to pick up beads, chain, and wire, these lovely crafts will tide me over.

First, these lovely fabric necklaces have their humble beginnings as regular cotton t-shirts. I especially love the colors here. I'm excited to experiment with printed shirts as well. Don't want to sacrifice any of your t-shirts? Check out a thrift shop for cheap shirts (go for large sizes, they'll give you more material to work with).

These bracelets can be made out of a variety of materials: fabric, leather, even shoelaces! Making bracelets always reminds me of Girl Scouts and summer camp. While perfecting your technique, why not make an extra or two for friends?

Images via ISLY and Between the Lines

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i adore the color of those fabric necklaces :)