Thursday, May 20, 2010

Business Cards

Networking. A word that seems to be a favorite of parents, career counselors, and professors. I've come to recognize its necessity as I've grown up, but I've yet to acquire the trademark of the networking world: the business card.

It's not for want of design or printing opportunity, but my main impediment to a card carrying lifestyle is the simple doubt that a college student my age needs her own business card. Sure, I have a summer employer and job title, but it's hardly something connected to my dream career or necessary to broadcast to every potential contact. However, in the midst of so many channels of communication (mail, telephone, email, websites, etc.) doesn't it make sense to have a way to easily give this information to someone?

Enter the business card. In it's simplest, dressed down version, a business card is part of a two second transaction that is more convenient, and professional, than fumbling for a piece of scrap paper and a pen when handing out contact information. While I love all things creative, there's no need for an unusually elaborate first business card. Instead, think simple, informative, and not too young or flashy. Be sure to include your name, address, cell phone number, email, and website (if applicable).

Nothing like a personal business card to make you feel grown up!

Image from http://themarketingguy.wordpress.com.

No comments: